Friday, December 6, 2013

Do you doodle?

(NOTE:  Since I don't have any quitly pictures to share right now, I thought I'd talk about doodling.)
 
As a kid I loved to doodle.  I doodled on everything...pee chees, phone books, my tennis shoes....anything.  In high school I took every art class I could
because I loved the feeling I got from drawing.
 
Several months ago I started drawing again when I decided I was going to teach
myself to longarm quilt.  And I've really enjoyed putting pen(cil) to paper again.  I spend
a lot of time drawing different quilt motifs to cement it in my mind.   I have
a notebook specially dedicated to just drawing quilt motifs. 
 
But you can only draw so many feathers before you start to get a bit bored.  So the last
few months, I've started to do more creative doodling.  I bought a few ZenTangle
and doodling books for some creative inspiration and off I went.  I'm loving it!
 
Here is a bird I copied out of one of the books...
 
 
 
and some random butterfly doodles...
 

 
 
This one was inspired by a free Sharon Schamber quilting video
I watched the other day on The Quilt Show.

 
 
More randomness...
 
 
 
This one was inspired by a quilted vase I saw posted on someone's blog. 
For the life of me I can't remember where I saw it now.  Apologies to that blogger.

 
 
I was going to use this as a card to give away until I realized I
drew it on the backside instead of the front...duhhhhh.
 
 
 
A pumpkin for thanks giving.  I probably should have doodled a
cornucopia in it instead of a spring basket but there ya go.

 
 
How about a snowflake drawn on dark cardstock with a white Gelly Roll pen?
 

 
With owls so popular, I knew I had to draw one. 
I'm thinking a fox will be next.
 
 
 
This flower was inspired by a flower I saw on fabric.

 
 
Another flower inspired by a motif on fabric.

 
 
Here I wanted to use warm and cool colors together but separate.

 
 
And finally how about a chubby little bee?

 
 
That's all I have for now.  I hope you weren't bored by my doodles. 
 
I really must put the pens down now and get back to sewing. 
I have three quilts to quilt and bind, and two tote bags and nine
Shell Shelters to make before Christmas...ugh. 
 
Till next time...
 





13 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This isn't doodling - this is true artistry! Just lovely - all of it!

julieQ said...

How lovely!! Love to see a glimpse of your talent!

dortha said...

Those are so lovely. I wouldn't call them doodling either.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Love your doodles! Fun! I am in a sewing crunch too. Have a happy weekend!

Amy's Crafty Shenanigans said...

Wow - you should sell these as embroidery patterns!!!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Such talent. Do you draw them in pencil or ink. They look so per so perfect. Great designs.

Heather said...

All I can say is wow. I wish I had half as much "doodling" talent. You really are an artist!

Rosa said...

Your patterns are fabulous!

Rina Mason said...

That is not doodling! What I do is doodling, what you do is create beautiful, intricate works of art. They are simply stunning. Thanks so much for sharing.

canuckquilter said...

Um, doodling? My doodles don't look anything like these gorgeous little works of art!

compulsivequilter said...

Your talent just blows me away.
Each and every drawing is a work of art.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Beyond Fabulous!!!

Barb Neiwert said...

People get paid to 'doodle' like you do - excellent! I am a long armer, but not an artist, so the entire process is very new to me. I wish I had half of your talent. Guess I should practice. Now where is my sketchbook?