Saturday, April 2, 2011

What's next?

I don't really have anything clever or insightful to say today...but then again...do I ever? Hmmm....

Anyway...I wanted to share what I've been working on for the past few days.  As those that follow my blog know, I along with half of blogdom LOVE Miss Rosie patterns.  Carrie's patterns are interesting and creative.  I never get bored with her patterns. 

This week I started...


I don't usually talk about my fabric choices.  But the reason for these particular ones is I wanted to use Kansas Troubles but they can be so very dark and one note sometimes.  To lightening things up and give the quilt more character, I through in a little Arnold's Attic by Barbara Brackman, prints from Brannock & Patek, and a couple miscellaneous tone-on-tone fabrics.



And here's where I'm at as of today...


While I'm not completely done sewing the courthouse step rows together and the border on, you get the idea.  I am really happy so far with how it's turning out.

Now I am working on the houses.  Here is a sample of one of them.  I promise it's not as wonky as it looks in the picture.  I have 16 houses to go and then it's on to the final border. 



If you think you might be interested in making this quilt, I have a little advice.  This is not a complicated quilt to make.  But please take your time to really read the cutting instructions because is A LOT of cutting involved with this quilt.  And it's easy to make a mistake if you don't pay attention.

By coincidence there are two other bloggers working on this very same quilt right now.  So go check out Yvette's blog BOM Quilter as well as Ranette's blog Ranette's Daily Stitch to see their fabric selections...which are completely different from mine.

Till next time...

8 comments:

Karen said...

I have the Cracked Pots pattern and have had it for quite some time. I just can't find enough time for all the pieced quilts I would like to make. I like that you lightened up the selection of Kansas Troubles with other fabrics. I have a bunch of Kansas Troubles I need to do the same thing with. I like how your Cracked Pots quilt is turning out.

Mary Lou Casada said...

I just ordered this pattern! Actually I won a book from Thelma at Cupcakes 'n Daisies by way of Fat Quarter Shop and this is the pattern I chose. Thelma says it's Carrie's 2nd most popular pattern ever!! I love it -- and I love your fabrics. Like you I have Kansas Troubles (and Thimbleberries and other darker hued pieces!) that need a little something. I think you've found the perfect balance!! Wonderful!
Blessings,
Mary Lou

Yvette said...

OMG! You go girl!!! Look how far you went with this.
I am hoping to finish all the houses tomorrow. Some of mine appear to be wonky but aren't when you put a ruler on them. I guess it is optical illusion.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if I have this one stashed in with others somewhere? I should....it is a beauty and I look forward to seeing your finished top!

Darlene said...

I love it - it's looking wonderful. Great selection of fabrics.

Loris said...

I haven't seen this pattern before but love it! Yours is really off to a great start. Nice fabric selection!

The Quilted Finish said...

Love the fabric choices, gorgeous colours.

Kim D. said...

Wow, looks like you have a great start on a gorgeous quilt. Great fabric choices!